About Me

Hello everyone!

My name is Mackenzie Malpass. I'm from Missouri City, Texas, but I've lived all over the U.S.! I love my family, companion animals, friends, food, music, video games/movies/television, and being artistic!



I'm a rising sophomore, and a Pre-Graphic Design major. Creating and designing beautiful things is pretty much my whole life-- I'm a self taught illustrator and contemporary artist, a rather talented violinist, and craftswoman! My favorite things to craft are costumes of fictional characters-- I love to wear them to 'geek' conventions to show them off. Some of the most elaborate involve lights, speakers, body paint, and even prosthetics!


As for the more traditional side of art, I love drawing and illustrating in particular. I have a drawing tablet that I use to create digital works, which I love especially due to their vibrancy that you usually can't get with traditional media. My favorite subjects to work on are animals and fantasy creatures! Here's a work-in-progress digital painting I'm doing of one of my favorite fantasy creatures, Toothless the Night Fury dragon! (Excuse the watermark with my artist handle; have to protect my artistic property!)


Speaking of dragons, they're a huge part of my life, believe it or not. Everyone who knows me even a little bit knows that I'm flat out obsessed with them! I am not really sure why I enjoy them so much-- perhaps I just think they're cool. On the other hand, maybe I have a dragon soul inside me! Who knows?


Aside from dragons and recreational fiction, probably my most deeply-rooted passion lies in my parrot, Pixel Atari.


Pixel is a Congo African grey parrot, and he just turned two years old on March 26th, 2017. He is the sweetest little bird on Earth. Ever since I can remember, I've been fascinated with birds; parrots in particular for their incredible intellect. I spent years of my youth just researching birds, and reading article after article, book after book, watching hundreds of videos, just learning new things about these lovely creatures. I don't think I've ever been more passionate learning about something, and retaining all that information to boot. I've seen Pix grow up since the day he hatched, and I love him more each day. He's quite literally my son, and will be with me for up to 60 more years, and I am entirely prepared for that commitment. While I do admit, I wasn't entirely prepared to have him in the first place, he's taught me so much about responsibility, patience, tolerance, and joy, and I know that he'll continue to teach me everyday. He's the most important thing in my life, so I figured it'd be appropriate to put him in this post!


One last thing about me-- I love cooking and eating food! My mom loves to pick on me because I enjoy taking pictures of my food at restaurants (or the meals I cook) if it looks exceptionally good. I think one of the simple but prominent joys in life is eating delicious food and savoring it as often as you can. I feel existence wouldn't be as fun if you didn't get to indulge once (or many times) in a while. My favorite would have to be crab legs. I'll have to apologize to my wallet in advance.


There are many more aspects about me I'd love to share, (I'm a bit of a narcissist, haha) but I think these give a solid grip on my personality. I look forward to this adventure abroad, and getting to know everyone else! 

Comments

  1. Thanks, Mackenzie, for sharing so much! Are you a Harry Potter fan, too? Dragons play such interesting roles in that series. I'm a violinist too. If you're interesting in hearing some world class music this summer, there are three places I'd encourage you to check out: Wigmore Hall (just north of Oxford Street) has amazing recitals and chamber performances; Albert Hall for Proms (cheap tickets, some as little as 10 pounds, for classical and pop-classical music in JulyAug); and St Martin in the Fields, which has free performances on W or Thur at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love Harry Potter-- you can imagine my excitement when the new Gringotts ride opened in Florida, haha! And those sound lovely, I'll definitely have to check them out in July. I've certainly missed regularly attending concerts since school started. I used to go to the Houston Symphony all the time, but I am eager to hear some again abroad!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 | A Room with a View

Week 2 | Brideshead Revisited