Week 1 | Jane Eyre

The first week of class has been really fun! The first day, we visited the Foundling Museum to learn about orphanhood in the 1800's.

Learning about the strife of orphans in the time of Jane Eyre helped me understand a lot of what shaped her into a young adult. What I found most interesting were the various tokens, that sometimes told what circumstance the mother was in to give her child away.


The second day involved seeing what a governess' quarters might have looked like, and how that placement made her both closer to, yet more structured in the family she served.


Later that day, we visited Westminster and got to see Big Ben! I could feel the rich culture all around me, despite it being a touristy zone.


Overlooking the Thames!


Finally, on the third day, we visited the Tate Britain art museum, which had not only modern pieces, but period pieces that visually explained what it was like to be a woman in the 19th century.

As a collective, these visits helped not only my understanding of Jane Eyre, but sympathize with the women who grew up in this time period.


Comments

  1. I like your narrative style in your captions. Did these site visits provide insight into the challenges of growing up as a worker, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! Being both a woman and a worker seemed to be a double edged sword, especially after studying the specifics of this time period. It is quite amazing to me what these women could put up with.

      Delete
  2. I really liked your images and insights like the governess' room and tokens at The Foundling Museum. Your connections to Jane Eyre are really interesting also in relation to what we are studying. I also like that you incorporated some of our other London adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pictures! I also appreciated how to museums helped me to appreciate and sympathize with the woman of this era. I love the picture of the governess quarters, it helps me to picture what Jane's room might have looked like, although Thornfield was a nicer house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great layout to your page! It's easy to see why these points are associated with Jane Eyre and the challenges she faced. I especially like the Thames river picture, beautiful place to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed how you implemented snippets of your day as a tourist and how you ended with a conclusion of what the week was mainly about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like your analysis of the governess's room. I did not think about how the living situation may have affected the relationship between the governess and the family - but it makes sense. They are close because they live together (and the governess is not shoved in the attic or basement like the servants), but there is a clear divide between the governess's room and the family's rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the organization of your blog. You made great connections to Jane Eyre and it's nice that you incorporated our outside adventures into your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 | A Room with a View

About Me

Week 2 | Brideshead Revisited