Week 5 | The Buddha of Suburbia

During our last week, we thought about our study abroad experience as a whole, and what it truly means to be a global citizen. Between packing to return to the States and working on our film, I began to feel bittersweet about leaving, but found comfort in the fact that I would never forget this experience and how it changed me.


Our first excursion was to the Museum of London, where we explored how the working class made it's wages over time, and the disadvantages that came with it. This helped us mull over how Karim in The Buddha of Suburbia might have faced difficult lower-middle class problems when it came to work, until he found his acting career.


That evening, we went to a cat cafe to relax from the stresses of our homework! While not necessarily relating to our novel, it is interesting to note that cat cafes are 'global,' haha!


Wednesday, we went to the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A Museum to explore the changing political climate in London in the 1970's. This led us to a better understanding of Karim's world, as well as what challenges it presented when it came to growing up as a mixed race teen.


Thursday we went to the London Eye, and got a humbling bird's eye view of the Thames and many hot spots in London. While this day was more for ending our course on a high note, I still found myself feeling at home and even more worldly as I looked out across the cityscape. The US might be my permanent residence, but London will always have a piece of my heart.


Growing up as a global citizen, to me, means that you can find a home in any place, and come to both understand and celebrate the differences throughout the world. While I have only barely scratched the surface of this planet, I feel I have already grown and been changed by this beautiful city!


Of course, even after everything, I was delighted to return home to my family, and my sweet baby bird. I will likely continue to tell the tales of my adventure for many years to come!


Comments

  1. I like how your blog takes us full circle: from your introductory post that introduced us to Pixel to a final image of his fetching profile upon return. Thanks for your buoyant, fun spirit and consistent intellectual curiousity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 | A Room with a View

About Me

Week 2 | Brideshead Revisited